Friday, March 15, 2013

Simple Paper Mâché Project - An Oxymoron

So my teacher guide suggested a simple paper mâché project to go along with our in depth study of Charlotte's web. Simple, really? I think the author placed a hidden camera in the guide and is laughing at us.

Day 1: First, we created a base for our pig.  We taped half toilet paper rolls on balloons.  This in itself was a project.


It was getting late and I didn't feel like getting out the mixer so our homemade glue was a bit lumpy, but we got past that. One child breaks the leg off the base pig. She holds the pig dearly so that I can attempt to fix said leg. Yeah, her shirt is now covered in glue. By the end of the ordeal there was even glue in my hair. At least round 1 is finished. Still need to paper mâché the bottom of the pigs but they are going to need a day or 2 to dry. Lots of laughs, but I am so not a paper mâché person.


Confession Time:  So I made the girls clean up the huge mess before taking these pictures. As I looked at the pictures, I realized that they didn't portray the true picture.  Once again I find myself trying to hide the mess and portray a pretty picture.

Day 2:  Pigs sat on table staring at us.   I ignored them, insisting they needed more time to dry.

Day 3: Lots of surgery required. The balloon popped... Have I mentioned how much i love paper mâché? Trying to focus on the fun memories and not the mess or sad faces. LOL




Day 4: Today I was actually looking forward to our project time, but my optimistic attitude was quickly shot down.     We began with a simple two-ingredient recipe, flour and water.  Sounds simple enough, yet our glue turned out even lumpier than before.


But we pushed through and made the best of situation and finished the project we began.


Day 5: Wow our mess of project a project turned out alright.   Today, the girls loved painting and constantly told me how I'm the greatest mom for letting them make these pigs.

  


I will admit that I enjoyed the time with my girls.   I especially loved seeing how proud they were of their project, their creation.   I wonder if that's how God views us.  So often he takes ours messes and turns them into a message to reach others.  We don't have to clean up our messes first.  God says come as you.  Then he molds us and shapes us and transforms us from the inside out. We are his master piece, his creation.

So, as much I hate this gloopy, slimy project, and as much I might be tempted to skip the next paper mâché project, I won't. And next time, I'm not going to ask my girls to clean up before the pictures are taken. I'll let you see the real deal, the mess and all.  Anyone want to join us?

Our lives are about “believing in a Master Artist who created redemption and loves us so much that He paints over our imperfection with His perfection. It is seeing the real, the mess, in light of the ideal, and so transfiguring it. It is accepting mess and then challenging it to become something more” 
(Mandy Steward in her book Messy Canvas)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.