Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Decimals

Today we learned that decimals, like fractions, describe parts of a whole.

After learning that 0.1 = 1/10 and 0.15 = 15/100, I wanted "Gracie" to practice reading decimal numbers.   We used the stopwatch on my phone to generate numbers.   She would stop and start the stopwatch as quickly as possible.  She was so proud of her quickest time - two tenths of a second. 
 
Then we practiced on the calculator.  
 
 
 Finally, we used base 10 blocks to represent decimal numbers.   One whole square is divided into 10 equal parts or 100 equal parts to represent tenths and hundredths.  After that we compared decimals. 
 

My sweet "Gracie" - I'm so amazed at how quickly you mastered this. 
Mommy is so proud of you  and I'm so honored to be your teacher again. 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.