Monday, September 9, 2013

MFW ECC Week 9 - Brazil





Our Attempts at Samba


Shh. Don't tell on us. I always feel the need to check off every box off before moving on. LOL. I seriously considered the rainforest Terrarium.  PetCo has small terrarium plants and aquariums, & I almost gave in and purchased them while we were there on a field trip. We looked and talked about it. But we skipped this one. I knew that my mom planned to take us to the Dallas World Aquarium during this unit study and we would experience the rain forest first hand.... At least that's how I reassured myself it was ok to move on.  I don't know why I struggle with this, but I'm learning to give myself grace when we can't quite fit it all in.  
Mom's Media Links:

Central & South AmericaLandscapeRainforst Adventure



 What We Learned:
    • Geography
       
      • Brazil is mostly in the southern and western hemisphere. 
      • Brazil is the 5th largest country.
      • The capital of Canada is Brasília.
      • Portuguese is the official language of Brazil
      • The national anthem is Hino Nacional Brasileiro 
      • The currency is the Brazilian Real.   Print currency here
      • Geography Vocab: zone 
      •  Exploring World Geography

 
    • Science

      • Tropical rainforests are located between the Tropic of Cancer & Tropic of Capricorn 
      • Rainforests  are warm and moist
      • Rainforests cover only a small portion of the earth, but are home to more than half of the animals in the world.
      • Book of Animals - Chinchilla, Giant Anteater, Giant armadillo
    • Bible

      • Memory Verse - Matthew 5:14
      • We read Matthew 5:43- 6:18
      • Read Matthew chapters 5 & 6
      • Columbia - Window on the World

    • Art

      • Textile Weaving

    • Spanish
      • We use Duolingo.com  
      • Duolingo is a fun, free, & fantastic learning tool. 
      • Much of the learning happens in the form of quizzes, which switch between testing speaking, listening, and writing. The grammar and sentence constructions become progressively difficult as you go along. It keeps reviewing previously learned words, allowing you to progress from basic words all the way through various verb tenses and abstract ideas. 
      • We love that we can compare progress with our friends through Facebook
    • Book Basket/ Read-Aloud

 ;   

For our read aloud we chose Misty of Chincoteague.  I know, it has nothing to do with Brazil, but it is a novel that both girls wanted to read. They also checked out the movie but will have to wait to watch it until we finish reading. My 4th grader is also answering the questions from the Misty of Chincoteague Comp Guide from Veritas Press.
    
Curriculum for Exploring Countries & Cultures
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.