Tuesday, June 10, 2014

MFW CTG Week 1

When was the last time you were truly awed by God? For me, It’s been awhile, too long. All too often I get distracted by the things around me or the business of life. I get caught up in doing good things, while neglecting the most important thing - spending time in his presence.  Sometimes I even find myself spending more time talking about Jesus than actually talking to Him.

This week has challenged me to look passed the dirty dishes, the papers that need to be graded, or even the extra pounds I’m trying lose and take a moment to soak in the beauty of God’s creation and stand in awe my Savior. My Creator, who called me out of nothingness holds me in the palm of my hand. He has moved mountains in my life that seemed impossible. He has been my shelter in the darkest storms of life. It’s time to slow down, to rest and remember, to Sabbath in His presence.



Our celebration was truly an incredible time together.  I'll be honest, I was stressing about this event.   I even postponed it for an extra week.  As embarrassed as I am to admit this on a homeschooling blog, I'll confess -  I don't know how to cook.  Until recently, I have pretty much eaten out or made made meals that really didn't involve cooking.    Even during Exploring Countries and Cultures we went out to eat for most of the countries.

As a child, I remember loving  the home cooked dinner time at my friend's house and dreamed of one day having a family of my own, sitting around the dinner table. Somehow in the business of life, I've gotten distracted with other things and never made this a priority except for my traditional Thanksgiving meal.  This is changing as I'm convicted about my role as a wife and mother.


Click on the images below to see the recipes used for our first Sabbath meal:


  


My Prayer:  Blessed are you Father, King of the Universe, Creator of all.  You created the world in only 6 days, making the Sabbath - a day of rest.  You've called us to honor this day.  Please guide us on this journey and show us what that will look like for our family.  Help us to grow together in our walk with you so that we may walk in your blessings.  


"Do you wanna a build a snowman? Come on, let's go and play."  Not only do I hear this song multiple times a day (usually following "Let it Go"), but she is constantly making snowmen out of everything - even while kneading the challah dough Frozen style. :)
Katelyn & I stitched our Challah cover.   It turned out to be a much larger project than either of us expected, but she stuck with it finishing it just before dinner.   Rachel fashioned 2 Stars of David out of Fun Fusion beads and decorated a spice jar for our table.




I'm so proud of my girl and her heart of love.  She made the selfless decision 2 years ago to grow out her hair and donate it to Locks of Love.  Today was the big day!!!


What We Learned:

    Bible  

    • Memory Verse: 2 Timothy 3:16
    • Celebrating Biblical Fests : Sabbath  Symbols & their meaning
    • Preparing for Sabbath - Play Sabbath interactive here.
    • We read Genesis 1:1 - Genesis 2:3
    • Journey Through the Bible - "Creation"
    • MFW Bible Reader: A Perfect Plan & God Made the World



    History
     

    • Days of Creation - Genesis 
      • Day 1: Light    
        Day 2: firmament, atmosphere, sky    
        Day 3: Seas, dry land, plants
        Day 4: Sun, moon, & stars    
        Day 5: Sea animals & birds
        Day 6: Land animals, man (male & female)    
        Day 7: God rested
      • Create a Scene - Days of Creation Game
    • Mystery of History Lesson 1:Creation 
      • As Christians we know who made us (God), how we were created (formed from the dust of the ground as God breathed life into us),when were were created (6th day of creation - approx 4004 BC), and why we were created (to have a relationship with our Creator).
    • The beginning of our timeline -
      This year our focus will be BC - Before Christ
      We briefly discussed AD - anno Domini (" in the year of the Lord")
       
Science
  • Let there Be Light (Science in the Beginning)
    • Light travels in a straight line but can change directions when it bounces off something (or reflects).

    •  How we see - Play Game on light here 
    • Watch Video on Light Bending & Bouncing
    • The Colors in Creation (Science in the Beginning) 
    • White light is a mixture of all the colors in the rainbow.

    • In a dark room, we positioned ourselves so that our eyes were 
      the same height of the candle.  The CD separated the white 
      light into the various colors.
  • Yeast rises
     


Vocabulary


  • Biblos (BIB loss) - book 




      • Vocabulary practice of Biblos Greek roots list Here

        • Flashcards & Vocab test are free, but we also use "Match it Sentence," "Match It Definitions," & "Which Word?" from the premium activities.

      Art & Music
      • Lesson on Frustration (God & the History of Art)- We discussed Joni Eareckson Tada and the challenges she faces.


      • We attempted to draw with our mouths.  


























      • Lesson 2: "Draw lines, young man, plenty of lines" (French Master Angs) Line is the main element of art (God and the History of Art).

      •  
      • Challah Cover 


      • Star of David (Fun Fusion) 
      • Spice jar decoration 
      • We listened to part of Haydn's Creation 


      • Spanish



        • We use Duolingo.com  
        • Duolingo is a fun, free, & fantastic learning tool. 
        • Much of the learning happens in the form of quizzes, which switch between testing speaking, listening, and writing. The grammar and sentence constructions become progressively difficult as you go along. It keeps reviewing previously learned words, allowing you to progress from basic words all the way through various verb tenses and abstract ideas. 
        • We love that we can compare progress with our friends.

        Mom's Media Links:

        Book Basket/ Read Aloud:

            

        Typing Fun:

        Typing Adventure Typing Adventure 2 Type Type Revolution
        Cup Stacking Fun Qwety Warriors Typing Speed Test

        Curriculum for Creation to the Greeks

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.