Monday, July 21, 2014

MFW CTG Week 4






What We Learned:

Bible

  • Review Memory Verse: 2 Timothy 3:16-17
  • Books of the Bible (Only Old Testament part) 

  • We've added Apologia's Who is God - This week we began laying the foundation of where we are building our lives. We discussed architects and how the Great Architect gave us the blue print for out lives. We elaborated on the parable of the wise and foolish builders as we created a booklet of 7 ways to build on the rock.   It was fascinating to learn that Great Pyramid of Giza only appears to be built on sand; in reality it is built on level layer of bedrock.
  • Yom Kipper - will be celebrated in the fall. 

History Notebook

  • Ancient Egypt was divided into Upper and Lower Egypt
  • The Nile was to Ancient Egypt as the Tigris & Euphrates were to Mesopotamia. 
  • Explore Ancient Egypt Here 
  • Compare lives in Ancient Egypt Here
  • History of Ancient Egypt
  • Map of Ancient Egypt (Download blank map Here) 
    I found it easier to save the image and print directly from my computer. 
    The Nile Rivers flows north, so Lower Egypt is to the north of Upper Egypt.
  • Unification of Egypt
    Egypt-Symbols-of-Power.pdf

    Download King Menes water color template HERE

    The girls enjoyed acting out the unification of Egypt.
    I think they will remember their dramatization. 
    Most historians believe that this unification took place around 3100 B.C, but according to biblical records it was probably much later.  Though it is unclear from ancient records who actually united upper and Lower Egypt, most chroniclers believe that it was King Menes. Regardless, this event caused Egypt to grow very strong.
  • Walk Like an Egyptian rap 
  • Farming on the Nile (Select Life on the Nile Interactive
  • Archaeologists carefully search for ancient clues. 
  • Stonehenge (MOH) 
    Stonehenge is an ancient monument located in England.
    The rocks were placed to measure the moon and season. 
  • Epic of Gilgamesh - IEW (Ancient History lesson 3)  
    Add sense words, ly-words, who-which clauses.
    We didn't have as much time this week to complete the writing , but I still thought she did a great job with it.   I'm amazed at how far she has come.  

Timeline

  • Tower of Babel

Science

  • The volume of a cube is 3 times that of a pyramid.
    You can build a huge impressive pyramid using less material.

  • Pyramids are structurally stronger than cubes.

Vocabulary

  • Graph (graff) - to write or draw.
  • Vocabulary practice of "graph" Greek roots list Here
    • Flashcards & Vocab test are free, but we also use "Match it Sentence," "Match It Definitions," & "Which Word?" from the premium activities.

Art & Music
  • When Michelangelo was asked how he became a great artist he replied with, "I drew, and I drew, and I drew some more."   My daughter's love art, though this part isn't the "fun art" they both feel this is helping them become better artists.  
  • Around and Around Again  
  • Around & Around 
  • Geometric Shapes 
  • Reed Boat 
    We made a reed boat by tying reed together with twine.
    We cut smaller pieces and glued them to a toilet paper roll for the shelter.
  • Walk like an Egyptian - Dance
  • Antonio Vivaldi (download composer notebook page Here
    • Study Vivaldi Spring

Book Basket & Read alouds

   
 

Math

  • 5th Grade: Fraction Fun


      
  • 2nd Grade: Multiplication Facts

  • 2nd Grade: Counting Songs 3's & 4's

Language Arts

  • Aesop's Fables 
    • Moral - main lesson the story teaches.  
    • We discussed the morals of several fables HERE.  
    • We were shocked to discover that Aesop was a Greek Slave.
  • Auction - a spelling word that my daughter hadn't heard before????   This led to a discussion on auctions.  We watched a few clips on youtube and then enjoyed "The touch of the Master's Hand" - A song with a moral. 

Music (play 2 games this week)

Name that Note Note Game Eek Shark
Melody Mayhem Rhythm Quiz Orchestra Guide
 Melody Mayhem

    Spanish


  • Duolingo is a fun, free, & fantastic learning tool.
  • Much of the learning happens in the form of quizzes, which switch between testing speaking, listening, and writing. 
  • The grammar and sentence constructions become progressively difficult as you go along. It keeps reviewing previously learned words,allowing you to progress from basic words all the way through various verb tenses and abstract ideas. 
  • We love that we can compare progress with our friends.

Typing Fun (play 2 games this week)

Typing Adventure Typing Adventure 2 Type Type Revolution
Cup Stacking Fun Qwety Warriors Typing Speed Test

3 comments:

  1. I have two que for you, E.
    1) where did you get your digital scrapbook program again? (I remember you shared on fb)
    2) How do you do a "work in progress" post on homepage and yet when I click on it, it can go into a page that you're working on? (and this page you're working on is hidden?)

    THANK YOU!

    We're starting Wed!! So excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use a scrapbook program; I use Photoshop Elements. I purchase digital kits and premade pages from many sites. I always suggest Smilebox as a great place to start. I love their pages, but prefer the flexibility of editing of embellishing in Elements.

    As for works in progress, I post a pic at the top of the current week that says work in progress. Though the page is incomplete I publish it for all to see – mainly my daughters. They need to have access to all the links so they have something productive to do while they are waiting on me. :) I keep the works in progress status until I the scrapbook pages when the week is completed.

    I'm so excited that you are on this journey with us.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.