Thursday, February 7, 2013

Shopping

Today we practiced math skills by playing store.  I know the prices are way low, but I didn't want any of the price tags over $1.00.   Little Lacie counted change as she bought several toys from her sister.  Then Gracie had the opportunity to practice making change.   She forgot to count out the change, because she was focusing on the mental math today.  For example, 9 dimes & 10 pennies equals $1.00.  She used that fact to find change from a dollar.

I love seeing them learn together.  They played store for about 30 minutes.  Here is a short video of our learning adventure. 
 


Lacie even aced her "thinking cap" questions today.
1. Barb bought a notebook for $0.75. She gave the salesclerk $1.00. What coin should she get back for change. Lacie handed me a quarter.

2. How many half dollars are needed to make $3.00? She placed 2 half dollar coins on a dollar bill, then counted by 2's until she got to 6. Not bad for my Little Lacie (age 6).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.